Just in time for St. Patrick’s day, here’s a quick, easy and simple Irish recipe to make. Colcannon is a famous Irish recipe and a particular favorite on Saint Patrick’s Day.
Irish Vegetarian Colcannon recipe – 198 calories
2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 tablespoon butter
2 cloves garlic, mashed (optional)
2 1/2 cups water
4 cups savoy cabbage, washed and shredded
3-4 cups green kale, washed, stalks removed and shredded
1 teaspoon butter
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Boil the potatoes for about 20-30 minutes (until tender).
2. Remove the potatoes from the water and save 1 cup of the liquid.
3. Mash the potatoes, add salt and pepper to taste, and as much liquid as needed to make the potatoes fluffy.
4. While the potatoes are cooking, put 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet and saute the garlic and onions over medium heat for about 10 minutes (until the onions are translucent).
5. Add the savoy cabbage and 1/2 cup water.
6. Cover and cook until the cabbage is tender.
7. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
8. In another skillet, add 2 cups water and cook the kale for about 4-5 minute (until tender). Drain well.
9. Mix everything together. Season well with salt and pepper.
10. Place the mixture in a casserole dish and top with 1/2 teaspoon butter. Bake for about 15-20 minutes to reheat.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Total fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 6.7 mg
Sodium: 54.7 mg
Total carbs: 40.3 g
Fiber: 5.3 g
Protein: 5.2 g
Weight Watchers points: 3
Weight Watchers points plus: 5
Photo credit: VegaTeam
You might also like these low-calorie vegetarian recipes:
- Low-Fat Eggplant Parmesan recipe – 154 calories
- Low Calorie Moroccan Lentil Soup recipe – 176 calories
- Low Calorie Indian Spinach Paneer Palak recipe – 199 calories
- Low Calorie Mushrooms and Green Beans recipe – 176 calories
- Low Calorie Roasted Butternut Squash recipe – 170 calories
For more easy vegetarian recipes, check out this vegetarian recipes blog.