French onion soup (in French: soupe à l’oignon) is an onion soup based on beef broth or beef stock traditionally served with croutons and cheese as toppings. Rich and warming, this is a dish to make while the last gasp of winter is in the air.
Low-Calorie French Onion Soup recipe – 145 calories
1/2 cup butter
5 lbs onions, unpeeled
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons paprika
7 (16 ounce) cans beef broth, divided
1 cup dry white wine (optional)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
caramel coloring (optional)
French baguette (optional, for serving)
Gruyere cheese or Swiss cheese (optional, for serving)
1. Peel the onions and slice them into 1/8 inch thick slices (preferably using a food processor).
2. Melt the butter in a large pot. Add the onions and cook over low heat, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for about 1 1/2 hours.
3. Stir in the paprika, pepper and bay leaf; saute over low heat for about 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Pour in the wine and 6 cans of beef broth. Increase the heat and bring to a boil.
5. Dissolve the flour in the remaining 1 can broth, and stir into the boiling soup.
6. Reduce the heat and simmer slowly for about 2 hours.
7. Season with salt and adjust the soup’s color to a rich brown with caramel coloring.
8. Serve hot, topped with a sprinkling of grated cheese and a slice of toasted bread.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Total fat: 6.5 g
Cholesterol: 15.2 mg
Sodium: 1085.9 mg
Total carbs: 18.4 g
Fiber: 2.9 g
Protein: 4.6 g
Weight Watchers points: 3
Weight Watchers points plus: 4
Photo credit: wEnDaLicious
You might also like these low-calorie soup recipes:
- Low Calorie Moroccan Lentil Soup recipe – 176 calories
- Low Calorie Vietnamese Chicken Soup recipe – 163 calories
- Low Calorie Lemony Chicken Soup recipe – 110 calories
- Tomato Florentine Soup recipe – 73 calories
- Minestrone Soup with Tofu recipe – 167 calories
For more easy French recipes, check out this French recipes blog.