I don’t know about you but when Christmas is in the air, it’s time for my favorite drink….. Can you guess what it is? It’s EGGNOG! Here’s a delicious, creamy eggnog full of Northern India flavors: sweet cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and vanilla.
Chai Eggnog recipe – 179 calories
2 cups milk, divided
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
3 1/2 inches cinnamon sticks, smashed using the side of a knife
10 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn, coarsely crushed
4 cardamom pods, crushed (or 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom)
1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
rum or brandy (optional)
grated nutmeg, to garnish
1. Combine 1 1/2 cups of the milk with the cloves, vanilla bean, cinnamon, ginger, peppercorns, cardamom pods and a hefty pinch of salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then turn off the heat and let it stand for about 15 minutes.
2. Strain the mixture through a sieve, discarding all of the solids except for the vanilla bean. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the milk; discard the vanilla pod.
3. Wipe out the saucepan and return the milk to the pan over medium heat.
4. Meanwhile, beat the eggs with the sugar for about 2 minutes (until they are light and lemon-colored) in a medium bowl. Add the heated milk in a stream, whisking gently.
5. Return the egg-milk mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for about 4-6 minute (until it thickens and coats the back of the spoon). Do not let the mixture come to a simmer or the eggs will scramble.
6. Quickly add the remaining 1/2 cup of milk to the pan to stop the cooking. Transfer the mixture to a pitcher and chill for at least two hours or until very cold.
7. To serve, divide the eggnog among four chilled glasses, stir in a dash of rum or brandy, if desired (ore use rum or brandy extract for a non-alcoholic drink), and top with a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Total fat: 7.9 g
Cholesterol: 110 mg
Sodium: 108.2 mg
Total carbs: 21.7 g
Fiber: 1.8 g
Protein: 7.4 g
Weight Watchers points: 4
Weight Watchers points plus: 5
Photo credit: elana’s pantry
You might also like these low-calorie beverage recipes:
- Low Calorie Cappuccino recipe – 60 calories
- Non-Alcoholic Sangria Fruit Cups recipe – 122 calories
- Pineapple Celery Punch recipe – 81 calories
- Cranberry Slush recipe – 192 calories
- Mango Lassi (Indian Beverage) recipe – 180 calories