Sweet and sour chicken is a delicious and wildly popular dish found in most Chinese restaurants. With this easy recipe you can make sweet and sour chicken at home. It’s delicious and a real family pleaser.
Low Calorie Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe – 185 calories
2 large boneless chicken breasts, in strips
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons sugar
1 (6 ounce) can pineapple juice
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 large carrot, sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 medium zucchini, sliced1/2 inch thick
1/2 medium green pepper, cut into strips
1/2 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
1 (8 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
1. In a bowl, combine the pineapple juice, sugar, pepper and cornstarch until smooth.
2. Stir in the soy sauce, lemon juice and ketchup. Set aside.
3. In a wok or nonstick skillet, cook the chicken, onions and carrots in oil (or use vegetable spray) until the chicken is browned.
4. Add the red and green peppers and the zucchini. Stir until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
5. Pour the sauce that was set aside over the chicken/vegetable mixture.
6. Add the pineapple pieces.
7. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened (about 2 minutes).
8. Serve over hot cooked rice.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Total fat: 5.8 g
Cholesterol: 30.9 mg
Sodium: 462.3 mg
Total carbs: 21.9 g
Fiber: 1.6 g
Protein: 11.8 g
Weight Watchers points: 4
Photo credit: Renato Ganoza
You might also like these low-calorie chicken recipes:
- Low Calorie Cobb Salad recipe – 173 calories
- Low Calorie Vietnamese Chicken Soup recipe – 163 calories
- Low Calorie Lemony Chicken Soup recipe – 110 calories
- Low Calorie Mango and Red Pepper Chicken recipe – 141 calories
- Low Calorie Baked Chicken Thighs recipe – 200 calories