If you want to surprise that special someone with a delicious Valentine’s Day dessert recipe, try these delightful red velvet cupcakes.
Valentine’s Day Red Velvet Cupcakes recipe – 199 calories
3 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
2 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
6 tablespoons red food coloring
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
For the frosting
1/2 cup butter
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
4-5 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Sift the cake flour in a small bowl, set aside.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the sugar and butter for about 5 minutes (until very light and fluffy).
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the vanilla, cocoa and red food coloring. Add to the batter and beat well.
6. In a measuring cup, stir the salt into the buttermilk.
7. Add to the batter in three parts alternating with the flour. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated, but do not overbeat.
8. In a small bowl, stir together the baking soda and cider vinegar.
9. Add to the batter and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl, making sure the ingredients are well blended and the batter is smooth.
10. Fill a cupcake tin 2/3 full with batter.
11. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes (until a toothpick or knife comes out clean).
12. Cream together the butter and cheese until smooth and creamy.
13. Gradually stir in the sugar.
14. Stir in one teaspoon of vanilla.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Total fat: 8.6 g
Cholesterol: 36.6 mg
Sodium: 166.8 mg
Total carbs: 29 g
Fiber: 0.2 g
Protein: 2.3 g
Weight Watchers points: 5
Photo credit: //ZERO
You might also like these low-calorie cake recipes:
- Vanilla Cupcakes recipe – 182 calories
- Low Calorie Apple Cake recipe – 182 calories
- Cinnamon Cupcakes recipe – 183 calories
- Low Calorie Tiramisu recipe – 151 calories
- Diet Coffee Squares recipe – 134 calories