These delicious Bavarian pretzel rolls can be shaped either into a pretzel shape, tight knot or simple bun shape. You can stuff the buns with your favorite sandwich ingredients or just eat them as they are. This is one of those recipes that is not hard to make, but makes you feel a great sense of accomplishment when looking at the finished product.
Bavarian Pretzel Rolls recipe – 196 calories
2 tablespoons warm milk
1 1/3 cups warm water (105-115 degrees)
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup light brown sugar
kosher salt or pretzel salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup baking soda
2 quarts cold water
1. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a dough hook (or in a small bowl if using a bread machine), mix 1/3 cup of the warm water with the yeast and let stand until foamy.
2. Add the remaining cup of warm water along with milk, melted butter and sugar, and swirl to dissolve the sugar.
3. If using a bread machine add the mixture to the bread machine at this point and continue. Add the flour and mix on the dough cycle or medium-low speed.
4. Remove the dough from the bread machine once it forms a nice a firm, pliable dough ball. Add more flour if necessary.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured table and knead for about 2 minutes. Roll into a 2 foot long log and cut into 12 even pieces.
6. Cover the dough with plastic and a damp cloth and let sit for about 10 minutes.
7. Pat the dough into rolls or form knots and arrange on a lightly floured surface about an inch apart. Cover with a lightly oiled plastic wrap and let the pretzels rest for about 30 more minutes.
8. Preheat the oven to 425° F. Lightly oil 2 baking sheets.
9. In a large stockpot, bring the cold water to a boil and add the baking soda.
10. Drop two rolls into the boiling water and boil for no more then 30 seconds, turning once.
11. Carefully remove using a slotted spoon or tongs, and hold above the pot and let drain.
12. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Repeat with the remaining rolls.
13. Arrange the rolls on the oiled baking sheets and bake on the upper and middle racks of the oven for about 8-10 minutes, or until browned all over. Shift the pans from top to bottom and back to front halfway through, for even baking.
14. Let the rolls cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack.
15. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Total fat: 2.4 g
Cholesterol: 5.4 mg
Sodium: 2581.5 mg
Total carbs: 38.2 g
Fiber: 1.3 g
Protein: 4.7 g
Weight Watchers points: 4
Photo credit: scaredy_kat
You might also like these low-calorie bread recipes:
- Olive Garden Breadsticks recipe – 137 calories
- Low Fat Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe – 76 calories
- Carrot Bran Muffins recipe – 161 calories
- Crescent Rolls recipe – 193 calories
- Pear Bran Muffins recipe – 158 calories
Tags: bavarian, bavarian pretzels, bavarian pretzels recipe, bread, bread recipes, calories, cooking, diet, dish, food, german, german recipes, pretzel buns, pretzel rolls, pretzel rolls calories, recipe