Raita is a traditional Indian yogurt-based sauce that is served over hot curries and beef dishes to add a bit of cool contrast. Cucumber, mint, onions, and seasoning are shredded and infused into this sauce for a tasty treat.
Beef with Cucumber Raita recipe – 176 calories
1 pound boneless beef sirloin steak, cut 1 inch thick
1/4 cup coarsely shredded unpeeled cucumber
1 8-ounce carton plain fat-free or low-fat yogurt
1 tablespoon snipped fresh mint
1 tablespoon finely chopped red or sweet onion
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
salt and black pepper, to taste
fresh mint leaves (optional)
1. Preheat the broiler.
2. To make the raita, in a small bowl combine the cucumber, yogurt, onion, sugar and snipped mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside
3. Trim the fat from meat. Sprinkle the meat with the lemon-pepper seasoning.
4. Place the meat on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat, turning the meat over after half of the broiling time.
5. For medium-rare allow for about 15-17 minutes (at 145 degree F) and for medium about 20-22 minutes (at 160 degree F).
6. Cut the steak across the grain into thin slices.
7. Garnish the steak slices with mint leaves. Serve with raita.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Total fat: 4 g
Cholesterol: 55 mg
Sodium: 312 mg
Total carbs: 5 g
Fiber: 0 g
Protein: 28 g
Weight Watchers points: 4
You might also like these low-calorie beef recipes:
- Easy Beef Gyros recipe – 198 calories
- Vietnamese Meatballs recipe – 85 calories
- Delicious Beef Meatballs recipe – 171 calories
- Bulgarian Ground Meat Sandwiches recipe – 177 calories
- Italian Mini Meatballs recipe – 195 calories