Kosher Jewish Pickles recipe – 67 calories
20-25 mildly ripe firm pickling cucumbers
16 cups water
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 bunch fresh dill
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon coriander seed
1 head garlic, peeled and broken up into cloves
1/2 lb ice
3 grape leaves (optional)
1. Cut 1/16″ off the ends of the cucumbers and scrub very well.
2. Soak the cucumbers in ice-cold water for a few hours.
3. When the cucumbers are almost done soaking, mix in the kosher salt.
4. Wash or sterilize a giant pickle jar (about a gallon).
5. Pack as many of the pickles into the jar as you can. Stick in all the dill, garlic cloves, seeds and grape leaves (if you have).
6. Pour the salt water into the jar, all the way up to the top minus an inch.
7. Tightly cover the jar (as hard as you can) with the lid that came on the giant pickle jar.
8. Place the jar upside down in a cool (65-58° F) place in your home with a towel over it (to keep it dark). Put a plate under the jar in case it might leak (but it should not leak if you followed the instructions correctly).
9. The next day (24 hours later) check to see if the jar leaked. If it did, tighten the lid and turn it upward, cover it with the towel, and ignore it.
10. Leave in a cool dark place for five days to a full week.
11. Enjoy your authentic Kosher pickles!
Nutritional information for one serving:
Total fat: 0.5 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 1900.4 mg
Total carbs: 16 g
Fiber: 2.2 g
Protein: 2.9 g
Weight Watchers points: 1
Photo credit: pink_fish13
You might also like these low-calorie vegetable recipes:
- Spicy Chipotle Coleslaw recipe – 110 calories
- Cucumber Strawberry Salad recipe – 41 calories
- Minestrone Soup with Tofu recipe – 167 calories
- Brussels Sprouts with Black Bean Garlic Sauce recipe – 111 calories
- Brussels Sprouts with Fish Sauce recipe – 143 calories
Tags: authenthic jewish pickles, calories, cooking, cucumbers, diet, dill, food, jewish, jewish pickles recipe, jewish recipes, kosher, kosher jewish pickles recipe, kosher pickles recipe, pickles, pickles recipe, recipe, Side dish recipes, side-dish, snack, snack recipes, vegetable, Vegetable recipes