I’ve never been a big fan of Brussels sprouts, mostly because of their sulfurous odor when cooked. I recently found how to fix this problem: the sprouts should never be steamed of boiled for more than 7 minutes.
Brussels Sprouts with Fish Sauce recipe – 143 calories
1 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons fish sauce
salt, to taste
1. Bring a heavily salted pot of water to a boil.
2. Parboil the Brussels sprouts until just tender (for about 3-5 minutes).
3. Drain, flush with cold water, and drain well. Set aside.
4. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
5. Add the Brussels sprouts, putting them facing down. Increase the heat to medium-high or high.
6. Let the sprouts cook for about 2 minutes, until they are light golden on their cut side. Turn them and continue cooking for a little longer to heat them through.
7. Add 3 tablespoons of fish sauce, turning the sprouts so they absorb the seasoning.
8. Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy immediately.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Total fat: 10.5 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 1,070 mg
Total carbs: 10.6 g
Fiber: 4.3 g
Protein: 4.5 g
Weight Watchers points: 3
Photo credit: Andrea_Nguyen
You might also like these vegetable recipes:
- Savory Sweet Potatoes recipe – 120 calories
- Cream of Tomato Soup recipe – 162 calories
- Southwestern Onion Rings recipe – 171 calories
- Crock Pot Vegetable Soup recipe – 79 calories
- Garlic Tomatoes recipe – 79 calories