Pesto is a traditional Italian sauce based on basil and pinenuts, and is usually crammed with olive oil. This version is lightened up by swapping vegetable broth or chicken broth for some of the oil. The flavor of this sauce is fresh and wonderful – toss it with cooked pasta or spoon it over vegetables, fish or poultry.
Homemade Pesto Sauce recipe – 195 calories
2 cups fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 medium garlic cloves, peeled
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1. Place the pine nuts in a small skillet and set the pan over medium heat.
2. Cook for about 3 minutes (until the nuts are golden), shaking the pan frequently to prevent burning. Transfer the nuts to a plate to cool.
3. In a blender or food processor, combine the nuts, broth, basil, oil, cheese, garlic and salt; process until smooth and thick. Yields about 1/4 cup per serving.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Total fat: 16.7 g
Cholesterol: 11 mg
Sodium: 793 mg
Total carbs: 5.1 g
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 8.4 g
Weight Watchers points: 5
Photo credit: miriam_kato
You might also like these sauce recipes:
- Spinach and Ricotta Cheese Pasta Sauce recipe – 125 calories
- Vietnamese Spicy Fish Sauce recipe – 98 calories
- Roasted Serrano Salsa recipe – 46 calories
- Fresh Tomato Sauce recipe – 71 calories
- Pineapple Salsa recipe – 85 calories