Now here’s a great onion rings recipe for all you onion lovers… Perfectly crisp texture, and wonderful flavor from all the spices! 😀
Southwestern Onion Rings recipe – 171 calories
2 large sweet onions
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1-2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1. Slice the onions into 1/4″ slices and separate the rings.
2. Place the rings in a bowl and add the buttermilk to cover the onions.
3. Soak for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. In another bowl, beat together the eggs and water.
5. Combine the flour, chili powder, salt, cayenne pepper, cumin, garlic powder and sugar in a shallow dish.
6. Drain the onion rings.
7. Dip the rings in the egg mixture first, then dredge in the flour mixture.
8. Fry the onion rings in 1″ of oil heated to 375 degrees, a few at a time, until golden brown on each side.
9. Drain and serve immediately.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Total fat: 2.4 g
Cholesterol: 55 mg
Sodium: 688 mg
Total carbs: 29.8 g
Fiber: 1.6 g
Protein: 7.5 g
Weight Watchers points: 3
Photo credit: phototram
You might also like these vegetable recipes:
- Crock Pot Vegetable Soup recipe – 79 calories
- Garlic Tomatoes recipe – 79 calories
- Steamed Asparagus with Almond Butter recipe – 164 calories
- Chicken and Mushrooms recipe – 189 calories
- Peach and Roasted Red Pepper Bruschetta recipe – 46 calories