I’m not a very big fan of asparagus (I usually find it pretty boring), but I liked this recipe a lot. It’s a very simple, but elegant way to serve asparagus, and the toasted almonds in the butter give this a very nice taste.
Steamed Asparagus with Almond Butter recipe – 164 calories
2 lbs asparagus, trimmed
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 large garlic clove, minced
3 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a small heavy skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over low heat.
2. Add the garlic and shallots and saute for about 5 minutes (until tender).
3. Pour into a medium bowl.
4. Add the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter, the lemon peel, lemon juice and parsley to the garlic/shallot mixture and whisk to blend.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Steam the asparagus until crisp-tender.
7. Place the butter mixture in large heavy skillet over medium heat.
8. Add the almonds and cook for about 3 minutes (until the butter browns), stirring occasionally.
9. Add the asparagus and stir until heated through.
10. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
11. Divide the asparagus among plates and serve.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 132
Total fat: 14.7g
Total carbs: 6.9g
Weight Watchers points: 4
You might also like these side dish recipes:
- Maple Brown Sugar Baby Carrots recipe – 188 calories
- Spinach and Pecan Salad recipe – 159 calories
- Maple Dijon Brussels Sprouts recipe – 141 calories
- Wild Mushroom Savory Saute recipe – 135 calories
- Sauteed Zucchini and Chickpeas recipe – 161 calories