I grew up with these cookies and was so happy to find this recipe during the holidays. They are absolutely delicious, they just melt in your mouth!
The recipe requires a little work, but I can guarantee the end result is worth it!
Stellas (Old-Fashioned Cookies) recipe – 152 calories
3 cups sifted flour
2 egg whites, slightly beaten
1 cup pecans, very finely chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. In a small bowl, combine the nuts, cinnamon and sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, sift the flour. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly, then stir in the sour cream.
3. Work the dough with your hands or a spoon until it holds together, wrap it in plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate about 6 hours (or overnight).
4. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts (it will be soft and sticky). Work with one part at a time, leaving the rest refrigerated.
5. Sprinkle your work surface with flour, then heavily with sugar. Shape the dough into a ball, rolling out to a round a little larger than 8 inches (the dough should be quite thin).
6. Cut into an 8-inch circle. Refrigerate the scraps.
7. Brush the circle with the beaten egg white and sprinkle with some of the nut mixture.
8. Using a pizza cutter or a knife, cut the circle into 8 equal wedges.
9. Roll each wedge from the wide end, tucking the point underneath. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
10. Repeat with the remaining dough and dough scraps.
11. Brush the tops with egg white and sprinkle with the remaining nut mixture.
12. Bake the cookies in a preheated 400 degrees F oven for about 15-20 minutes (or until light brown).
13. Remove the cookies to wire racks and let cool. Store in a tightly covered container for up to 2 weeks.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 101
Total fat: 11.3g
Total carbs: 11.5g
Dietary fiber: 0.6g
WW points: 4
Photo credit: cookiedog
You might also like these cookie recipes:
- Chocolate Walnut Kahlua Balls recipe – 146 calories
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies recipe – 135 calories
- Chunky Chocolate Jam Bars recipe – 185 calories
- Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies recipe – 176 calories
- Gingerbread Biscotti recipe – 141 calories