Egyptian Spinach Soup recipe – 194 calories
1 lb spinach (well washed, large stems removed)
1/3 cup basmati rice
4 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cups plain yogurt
1/4 teaspoon turmeric (or 1/4 teaspoon Madras curry powder)
3-4 scallions, finely chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and saute the onion until soft.
2. Add the turmeric (or curry powder if using) and cook for 1 more minute to let the spice warm through.
3. Add the chicken stock, rice, scallions, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Simmer gently for about 15 minutes (until the rice is cooked), being careful not to overcook.
6. Chiffonade the spinach (cut into long, thin strips), add to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes.
7. To serve the soup hot: Beat the garlic and yogurt into the soup, reheating gently so that the yogurt does not curdle.
8. To serve the soup cold: Allow the soup to cool, then add the garlic and yogurt and puree.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 67
Total fat: 7.5g
Total carbs: 22.9g
WW points: 4
You might also like these soup recipes:
- Cream of Carrot Soup recipe – 166 calories
- Cauliflower Soup recipe – 127 calories
- Greek Avgolemono Soup recipe – 143 calories
Photo credit: erin.kkr