East African Bread (Chapati) recipe – 158 calories
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon cooking oil
1 teaspoon salt
warm water, as needed
1. If the ingredients have been in the refrigerator, allow them to come to room temperature.
2. In a bowl, mix the flour with the salt.
3. Slowly add enough water to make a thick dough.
4. Mix in one spoonful of oil.
5. Knead the dough for a few minutes on a cool surface, adding a few spoonfuls of dry flour.
6. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with a clean cloth and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
7. Lightly grease a griddle or skillet with cooking oil and preheat.
8. Divide the dough into 6 orange-sized balls and flatten them into six-inch circles. Fry them in the griddle or skillet until each side is golden brown and spotted, turning once.
9. Serve them with butter and any soup, stew or curry dish.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 10
Total fat: 1.2g
Total carbs: 31.8g
WW points: 3
You might also like these bread recipes:
- Home Made Hot Rolls recipe – 120 calories
- Egg-Fried Bread recipe – 193 calories
- Curry Bread recipe – 136 calories