Syrian Black Eyed Peas with Herbs recipe – 135 calories
1 1/2 cups black-eyed peas, cleaned and picked through
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 dried hot red chili pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt (omit if you are using canned peas)
1. Pick through the peas, removing any debris or damaged beans. Rinse the peas and place them in a large soup pot.
2. Fill the pot with water until it rises about five inches above the peas. Bring the water to a brisk boil, then turn off the heat and cover the pot, letting it sit for about 60-90 minutes. Drain in a colander.
3. Return the black-eyed peas to the pot along with 4 1/2 cups of fresh water and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce to a low simmer, cover and cook for about 40 minutes (or until the peas are tender).
5. Once the peas are cooked, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
6. When the oil is hot add the whole dried chili pepper.
7. Add the garlic and stir once, then add the black-eyed peas and cooking liquid along with the oregano, bay leaves, paprika, thyme and salt.
8. Simmer for about 20 minutes uncovered over low heat.
9. Serve with rice.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 66
Total fat: 7.4g
Total carbs: 13.7g
WW points: 3
Photo credit: NcMysteryShopper
You might also like these bean recipes:
- Green Beans and Basil Salad recipe – 150 calories
- Oven-Roasted Green Beans recipe – 55 calories
- Black Bean Salsa recipe – 127 calories