Buttermilk Biscuits recipe – 160 calories
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Sift the dry ingredients together.
3. Mix in the shortening using a pastry blender, fork, or your fingertips, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Form a well in center of the flour and pour the buttermilk in.
5. Mix the flour into this, stirring and working until the flour leaves the sides of the bowl and forms a ball.
6. When it comes away from the sides without sticking too bad, it’s ready (otherwise, work in a little more flour).
7. Place the dough on a floured surface and knead about 5-6 times (don’t knead too much or the dough will become tough).
8. Roll or pat out to about 1/2″ thickness and cut with a biscuit cutter or floured glass.
9. Place the biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet.
10. Bake at 450 degrees F for about 8-12 minutes or until light golden.
11. Brush the biscuit tops with melted butter, if desired (optional).
12. Serve warm with sausage gravy or butter and preserves, if desired.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 80
Total fat: 8.9g
Total carbs: 17.1g
WW points: 4
Photo credit: Sue L