Baked Anchovy-Filled Tomatoes recipe – 147 calories
1 lb tomatoes
4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 shallot, finely diced
1 3/4 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flake
2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
balsamic vinegar (to garnish) (optional)
extra virgin olive oil (to garnish) (optional)
1. Wash the tomatoes, dry them, then cut them in half horizontally.
2. Remove the seeds.
3. Sprinkle the cut sides with salt and place them (cut side down) on paper toweling to remove some of the liquid; leave to stand for about 20 minutes (this will prevent the tomatoes from getting too mushy).
4. Rinse the tomatoes and pat dry with paper towels.
5. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
6. In a food processor, process the anchovies, olive oil, shallot, garlic and thyme to a smooth paste.
7. Transfer the paste to a bowl and fold in the breadcrumbs, chili flakes and parsley until well combined.
8. Season with salt and pepper to taste (but remember that the anchovies are quite salty in themselves).
9. Spoon the mixture into the tomato cavities.
10. Bake the tomatoes in the oven for about 15 minutes (or until golden).
11. Transfer the tomatoes to a serving dish and serve hot or at room temperature, optionally drizzling with olive oil and/or balsamic vinegar.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 72
Total fat: 8.1g
Total carbs: 15.5g
WW points: 3
Photo credit: Rita