Fresh Tomato Sauce recipe – 71 calories
3 lbs fresh plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/3 cup minced fresh onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 bay leaf
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 sprigs fresh parsley
6 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 inch fresh orange rind
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/8 teaspoon fennel seed
1 pinch ground coriander
1 pinch saffron
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. In a large saucepan, saute the garlic and onion in olive oil until tender.
2. Stir in the flour until smooth.
3. Add the tomatoes.
4. Wrap the bay leaf, parsley, thyme and orange rind in a cheesecloth, tie and add to the pot.
5. Add all the remaining ingredients.
6. Heat the sauce to a simmer, then drop on the lid and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Remove the lid and simmer for another 25-30 minutes (or until the sauce has thickened).
8. Remove the herb bouquet and chill the sauce overnight (or freeze for later).
9. Heat again before serving over hot cooked pasta or meats.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 33
Total fat: 3.8g
Total carbs: 9.1g
WW points: 1
Photo credit: Rita