Stir-Fried Zucchini with Hoisin Sauce recipe – 75 calories
2 medium zucchini (approximately 1 lb)
2 teaspoons Hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon canola oil or peanut oil
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons dry sherry
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon sesame seed, toasted
1. Quarter the zucchini lengthwise.
2. Slice off the soft seed core.
3. Arrange the zucchini, cut side up, on paper towels.
4. Sprinkle with salt, and set aside for about 10 minutes.
5. Blot the zucchini quarters dry with paper towels.
6. Cut the quarters into 2 inch lengths.
7. In a small bowl, mix the Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and sherry.
8. Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat for about 1 minute.
9. Pour in the canola/peanut oil; when the oil starts to shimmer and ripple (very hot), add the zucchini.
10. Saute the zucchini for about 4 minutes (until it browns and slightly softens; don’t overcook- it might turn mushy).
11. Add the garlic and chilli flakes, saute for about 15 seconds.
12. Add the sauce mixture; stir and cook for about 20 seconds (just long enough for the liquid to reduce and coat the zucchini).
13. Remove from the wok, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve immediately.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 41
Total fat: 4.6g
Total carbs: 5.7g
WW points: 2
Photo credit: WaterMelon