South African Syrup-Soaked Fritters recipe – 178 calories
500 g cake flour
20 ml baking powder
2 eggs, beaten
125 g butter
2 ml salt
oil (for deep frying)
For the syrup
750 g sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
2 inches ginger, peeled
4 whole cloves
375 ml water
1. Prepare the syrup the day before making the fritters and chill thoroughly.
2. Dissolve the sugar in water over medium heat.
3. Add the spices and ginger.
4. Boil together for about 10 minutes.
5. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
6. Rub in the butter; add the beaten eggs with enough milk to blend into a stiff dough.
7. Chill the dough in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
8. Roll out the dough 1/4 inch thick and cut into strips approximately 3×1 inches.
9. With a sharp knife, cut each strip into 3 smaller ones, leaving them attached at one end.
10. Braid the strips loosely and pinch the ends to secure.
11. Drop a few at a time into hot oil.
12. Cook until lightly-browned and puffed.
13. Lift out and drain for about 1 minute of crumpled paper towels, then drop them at once into the chilled syrup.
14. Soak in syrup, lift out and drain in a sieve until dry.
Servings: 20 fritters
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 52
Total fat: 5.8g
Total carbs: 27.5g
WW points: 4
Photo credit: Luschka