Sweet Potato Curry recipe – 172 calories
2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 lbs), peeled and diced
1/2 large sweet onion, chopped or 2 scallions, thinly sliced
10 ounces fresh spinach, washed, stemmed and coarsely chopped
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
1-2 teaspoon canola oil
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 cup water
Basmati rice or brown rice, for serving
1. Peel, chop and steam the potatoes in a veggie steamer for about 15 minutes (you can also boil or bake them).
2. While the potatoes are cooking, heat 1-2 tsp of canola or vegetable oil over medium heat.
3. Add the onions and sauté for about 2-3 minutes (until they begin to soften).
4. Add the curry powder, cumin, and cinnamon, and stir to coat the onions evenly with the spices.
5. Add the tomatoes (with their juices) and the chickpeas, stir to combine.
6. Add 1/2 cup water and raise the heat up to a strong simmer for about 1-2 minutes.
7. Add the fresh spinach (a few handfuls at a time), stirring to coat with the cooking liquid.
8. When all the spinach is added to the pan, cover and simmer for about 3 minutes (until the spinach is just wilted).
9. Add the cooked sweet potatoes to the liquid, and stir to coat.
10. Simmer for another 3-5 minutes (or until the flavors are well combined).
11. Transfer to a serving dish, toss with fresh cilantro and serve hot (over Basmati or brown rice).
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 21
Total fat: 2.4g
Total carbs: 33.7g
WW points: 3
Photo credit: NcMysteryShopper