Bavarian Pretzel Sandwich Rolls recipe – 195 calories
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup baking soda
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons warm milk
1 1/3 cups warm water
1/3 cup light brown sugar
kosher salt or pretzel salt
2 quarts cold water
1. In a small bowl (if you’re using a bread machine) or in the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix a 1/3 cup of the warm water with the yeast and let stand until foamy.
2. Add the remaining cup of warm water along with the milk, melted butter and sugar, swirling to dissolve the sugar. (If you’re using a bread machine add the mixture to bread machine at this point and continue). Add flour and mix on dough cycle or medium-low speed. Remove dough from bread machine once it forms a nice a firm, pliable dough ball. Add more flour if necessary.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured table and knead for about 2 minutes. Roll into a 2 foot long log and cut into 12 even pieces. Cover the dough with plastic and a damp cloth and let sit for about 10 minutes.
4. Pat the dough into rolls or form knots and arrange on a lightly floured surface about an inch apart. Cover with a lightly oiled plastic wrap. Let the pretzels rest for an additional 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 425° F. Lightly oil 2 baking sheets.
6. In a large stockpot, bring the cold water to a rolling boil and add the baking soda.
7. Drop two rolls into the boiling water and boil for no more then 30 seconds, turning once. Carefully remove with tongs or a slotted spoon and hold above the pot to let drain. Lightly sprinkle with salt. Repeat with the remaining rolls.
8. Arrange the rolls on the oiled baking sheets and bake on the upper and middle racks of the oven for about 8-10 minutes (or until browned all over). Shift the pans from top to bottom and back to front halfway through, for even baking.
9. Let the rolls cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack.
10. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 22
Total fat: 2.5g
Total carbs: 38.2g
Photo credit: Galley Wench