Caramel Creme Dessert recipe – 168 calories
2 1/2 cups warm milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. For the caramel: Pour the 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a medium-size, heavy-bottomed frying pan and place over medium-High heat.
2. Let the sugar cook for about 3-5 minutes (until it reaches an evenly golden brown color), stirring with a wooden spoon to remove any lumps. Do not overcook as this will give the caramel a bitter taste!
3. Once the caramel has reached the proper color, add 1 tablespoon water to the pan (to keep caramel from becoming too hard).
4. Remove from the heat and carefully cover the bottom of a 2-qt mold. Tilt the mold from side to side if necessary to completely cover the bottom.
5. When the caramel has cooled, butter the sides of the mold. Set aside.
6. For the crème: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Lightly beat together the eggs, sugar and salt. Pour over the warm milk; add the vanilla and stir to blend.
8. Pour the mixture over the caramel in the mold.
9. Place the mold in a pan containing 2 inches hot water.
10. Place the pan in the oven; bake for about 1 hour (until set). The custard is done when knife blade inserted comes out clean.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 55
Total fat: 6.2g
Total carbs: 21.7g