Greek Avgolemono Soup recipe – 143 calories
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup rice
8 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
1/4 cup carrot, finely chopped
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1. Bring the chicken broth to a boil.
2. Add the rice, celery, carrots and onion.
3. Simmer for about 20 minutes (until the rice and vegetables are tender).
4. Remove from the heat. Set aside.
5. In medium bowl, beat the eggs and lemon juice; slowly add some of the hot broth to the egg mixture beating steadily to temper it.
6. Gradually whisk the egg mixture back into the hot soup.
7. Cook over low heat, without boiling (do not boil the soup after adding the eggs!), for about 5 minutes (until the soup thickens).
Nutritional information for one serving:
Avgolemono soup calories: 143
Calories from fat: 32
Total fat: 3.6g
Total carbs: 16.8g
Photo credit: Lara604