Chiles Toreados recipe – 108 calories
12-16 hot peppers (serranos or jalapenos are best)
vegetable oil (for rubbing the chili peppers)
coarse salt (to taste)
lime wedges (optional)
1. Preheat a small cast iron skillet over medium high heat (these may also be grilled outdoors, if so adjust the cooking time accordingly for more intense heat).
2. Slightly flatten the whole chili peppers using the side of a large knife or a cleaver.
3. Rub each chili with a thin coat of oil, then roast them on the preheated pan, turning occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes (or until they begin to blister and char).
4. Remove the roasted chilis to a serving dish.
5. Sprinkle with coarse salt to taste, and squeeze lime wedges over them (optional).
6. Serve as a bar snack or as an accompaniment to grilled meats.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 4
Total fat: 0.5g
Total carbs: 25.5g
Photo credit: insidethemagic