Horiatiki (Greek Salad) recipe – 156 calories
4-5 large ripe tomatoes
1 dozen olives
1 green bell pepper
1 large red onion
1/4 lb Feta cheese, crumbled or sliced
top quality extra virgin olive oil
pickled hot pepperoncini peppers (for garnish)
1 tablespoon water
1. Wash and dry the tomatoes, cucumber and green pepper. Clean off the outer skin from the onion, wash, and dry.
2. Cut the tomatoes into bite-sized irregularly shaped chunks, removing the core. Slice the cucumber into 1/4-inch slices, cutting the slices in half (you can peel the cucumber or not, depending on your taste).
3. Slice the pepper into rings, removing the stem and seeds. Slice the onion into thin rings.
4. Combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, green pepper and onion in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with oregano and salt, pour olive oil over the salad, and toss.
5. Just before serving, place the Feta cheese on top of the salad (either as a slice or crumbled) and toss in some olives. Sprinkle the cheese with oregano (and pepper if desired), mix the oil and water and drizzle over the top, and serve, garnished with hot peppers.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 71
Total fat: 8g
Total carbs: 17g
Photo credit: PaulaG