Czech-Style Sauerkraut recipe – 150 calories
1 (15 ounce) can sauerkraut
1 cup sweetened applesauce
1 medium onion
1 medium potato
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1. Place the sauerkraut and the liquid, butter and caraway seeds in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. When the mixture begins to bubble slightly, lower the heat to simmer.
3. Peel and grate the potato and onion. Add them to the top of the sauerkraut and press lightly into the kraut with the flat surface of a spoon (do not stir into the kraut!).
4. Cover and continue to simmer (adding a small amount of water if needed) until the grated potato is cooked. Now combine the pan contents (this process keeps the raw potato from scorching and/or sticking to the bottom of the pan).
5. Add the applesauce, mix well and taste. Add more applesauce if you prefer a sweeter, more apple-flavored sauerkraut.
6. If you want some meat flavor , add a chicken bouillon cube to the kraut (make sure it’s completely dissolved and mixed in well).
7. Notes: After the pan contents are combined in step 3, stir frequently to prevent any ingredients from sticking to the pan. After the last step, you can continue to simmer if you feel the kraut is too liquid.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 71
Total fat: 8g
Total carbs: 19.9g