Diabetic Bran Muffins recipe – 117 calories
1 cup natural bran
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1/4 cup Splenda granular
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup cooking oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, stirring well. Push up around sides of the bowl, making a well in center.
2. In another bowl, stir the buttermilk with the bran. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the remaining ingredients to the bran mixture, beating with a spoon until mixed.
4. Pour into the well in the flour mixture and stir to moisten (the batter will be lumpy).
5. Fill 12 greased muffin cups 3/4 full.
6. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes.
7. Let stand for about 5 minutes, then remove the muffins from the pan.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 63
Total fat: 7.1g
Total carbs: 12.7g