Turkish Okra Casserole recipe – 161 calories
3/4 lb fresh okra or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra
1 eggplant, about a pound
2 medium green bell peppers
2 medium zucchini
1 large onion
2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup parsley, fresh, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
salt, to taste
1. If using fresh okra, Trim away any tough stems (if you’re using fresh okra), or defrost and drain (if using frozen okra).
2. Trim off the ends of the eggplant and cut the un-peeled eggplant into one-inch cubes.
3. Trim the ends of the zucchini and cut the un-peeled zucchini into one-inch cubes.
4. Using a vegetable peeler, peel away the skin of the bell peppers. Halve them and remove the cores, veins and seeds; cut them into one-inch pieces.
5. Peel and dice the onion into one-inch pieces.
6. Peel, core and seed the tomatoes; dice them into one-inch pieces.
7. Preheat the oven to 375° F.
8. Heat the oil in a large, heavy casserole (stove top/oven ware) and add the eggplant cubes and onion pieces.
9. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
10. Add the green peppers, zucchini and tomatoes; cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
11. Stir in the pepper flakes, garlic, parsley, thyme and bay leaf.
12. Add the drained okra and salt (to taste).
13. Place in the oven (uncovered), and bake for about 1 hour.
14. Remove the bay leaf and serve.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 86
Total fat: 9.6g
Total carbs: 18.6g
Photo credit: PaulaG