Tori No Kara-age (Japanese Deep Fried Chicken Nuggets) recipe – 110 calories
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite-sized pieces)
For the marinade
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and grated
30 g ginger root, peeled and grated
3 tablespoons soy sauce
freshly ground black pepper
For the coating
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 tablespoons cornflour
vegetable oil, for deep frying
2 slices lemon, to garnish
1. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, salt and pepper.
2. Place the chicken in the mixture and let sit for about 30 minutes.
3. Mix the plain flour with the cornflour.
4. Take each piece of chicken from the marinade and roll in the flour mixture until it’s coated completely.
5. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and deep-fry the chicken pieces for about 4-5 minutes (or until golden brown).
6. Serve on a bed of salad garnished with lemon slices.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 7
Total fat: 0.9g
Total carbs: 9.2g