Seared Scallops with Cabbage and Leeks recipe – 173 calories
12 large sea scallops (about 1 pound), tough side muscles removed
1 large leek (white and pale green parts only)
1 lb green cabbage (about 1/2 medium head)
1/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons olive oil
fresh ground pepper
sliced lemons (to garnish)
1. Half the leek lengthwise, thinly slice crosswise and rinse well.
2. Half the cabbage lengthwise, core it and thinly slice crosswise.
3. In a large non-stick frying pan, heat 4 1/2 teaspoons oil over medium high heat until hot (but not smoking).
4. Add the leek, cook until soft (about 1-2 minutes).
5. Stir in the cabbage, and add the stock.
6. Cook (stirring occasionally) until the cabbage is slightly soft (about 5 minutes).
7. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and season with fresh ground pepper; set aside.
8. Sprinkle the scallops with 1/4 teaspoon salt and season with freshly ground pepper.
9. In another large non-stick frying pan, heat the remaining 2 1/2 teaspoons oil over medium heat until hot (but not smoking).
10. Add the scallops and cook, turning once, until dark golden (about 4 minutes on each side).
11. Divide the cabbage mixture between four plates and top each serving with 3 scallops; garnish with lemon slices.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 97
Total fat: 10.8g
Total carbs: 10.8g
Photo credit: Derf