Chocolate Cherry Rum Balls recipe – 44 calories
175 g semi-sweet chocolate chips
175 g butterscotch chips
625 ml graham wafer crumbs
1 cup maraschino cherries, well drained
1 (250g) package light cream cheese, block style, at room temperature
15 ml rum extract (or 50 ml rum)
15-20 ml water (omit if using real rum)
1. Finely chop up the maraschino cherries, set aside.
2. Beat the cream cheese with a wooden spoon (or in a food processor).
3. Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips in the microwave on medium power for 1 minute at a time until melted; stir lots after each minute to make sure they don’t burn.
4. Beat the chocolate mixture into the cream cheese.
5. Mix in the rum, water, graham wafer crumbs and cherries (the amount of water depends on the type of cream cheese you use – if using light add the minimum amount of water).
6. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
7. With your hands, roll out about one teaspoon of the mixture at a time into balls.
8. Put the chocolate sprinkles in a small bowl (such as a cream cheese container), roll the rum balls in the sprinkles (one at a time).
9. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve (they keep for about two weeks in the fridge, but at that time the chocolate sprinkles may soften).
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 20
Total fat: 2.3g
Total carbs: 5.7g
Photo credit: LUv 2 BaKE