Irish Buttermilk Scones & Cheese and Herb Scones recipe – 176 calories
For the buttermilk scones
8 ounces self-raising flour
1 ounce butter or hard margarine
5 fluid ounces buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
1 pinch salt
cinnamon sugar (to dust)
milk or eggs (to glaze)
For the cheese and herb scones
2 ounces cheese, grated
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons fresh herbs, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 450° F (gas mark 8).
2. Sift the flour with salt and rub in butter or margarine.
3. For the cheese & herb scones: add cheese, herbs and mustard to the dry ingredients.
4. Make a well in the center and pour in the egg and most of the buttermilk.
5. Mix quickly to form a soft dough (adding a little extra buttermilk if necessary).
6. Turn out onto a floured surface and roll out lightly until 1″ thick.
7. Working quickly, cut into 2″ rounds.
8. Glaze with milk or egg, and set on a floured baking sheet.
9. Before baking, dust the scones with cinnamon sugar (for the buttermilk scones) or sprinkle a little grated cheese on top of each scone (for the cheese & herb scones).
10. Bake for about 15-20 minutes (until light brown).
Servings: 8 scones
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 52
Total fat: 5.8g
Total carbs: 24.6g