Caramel Syrup (Cajeta) recipe – 178 calories
3 cups sugar
2 quarts milk
1 small cinnamon stick
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1. Combine 1 quart of the milk with the sugar in a saucepan, and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture turns golden.
2. Combine the remaining quart of milk with the baking soda, stir, and place in another saucepan.
3. Add the cinnamon stick to the mixture, and bring to a boil.
4. Discard the cinnamon and add the hot milk very gradually to the caramel mixture, stirring constantly.
5. When all the milk is incorporated, place over low heat and cook very slowly until the mixture is thick like melted caramel.
6. Cool slightly, then pour into a glass container and chill.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories from fat: 32
Total fat: 3.6g
Total carbs: 34.5g
Photo credit: justcallmejulie